For$
<!-- begin site header -->
<div id=

Author Topic: The new Plugin API  (Read 48093 times)

xoft

• View Profile
Re: The new Plugin API
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 10:43:11 pm »
On a second thought, generators might be handled as completely different "sort" of plugins - with their own registration and then integration. That would be much faster than looking events at runtime.

edit: fixed a typo
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:02:21 am by xoft »

Delirium

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 11:38:59 pm »
I updated the wiki today. As of 26.2.2011, all the current functions of the plugin API are documentated, except Mob API which is undergoing heavvy development.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

SweetCraft Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 06:01:10 am »
The best API would be some kind of integration with the new Bukkit server API. Then you'd instantly get access to 100's of plugins.

Instant access to 100's of plug-ins + Bukkit's horrible Quality Assurance, and attitude.

So far Mineserver seems leaps and bounds beyond Bukkit in maturity alone, and that by itself will reflect in the difference in professionalism that I believe will be reflected in the Mineserver project over Bukkit, which is pretty chaotic, immature, and totally oblivious to the needs of the community or server admins as demonstrated by the lack of any vector for the community of large servers that exist "herocraft, godcraft, etc..) to supply direct and critical feedback about bugs they are all experiencing to the developers at Bukkit - and that just does not work.

Taking a week to accept testimony AKA complaints from major servers complaining on a log-in/out lag bug is 6 days too many.  And nothing proves more of what I am saying than one simple glance at the Bukkit Forums main page - Not a single sub-forum for posting bugs. Oh but wait, you may say there is some JIRA or something like that...Sorry regular people don't ever follow those and the masses do not, so if you need to get the most information you make it easy for those with that information to give it you.  Yes it may be willy nilly and some idjits will just post "IT BROKE MY SERVER" - but many more of us will post the steps, the details, whats repeatably and everything else to help find and eliminate a bug.   Something over there just screams "we are working harder, not smarter", and that for any project spells long term failure, guaranteed.

Mineserver hopefully will and should stand alone, no dependencies on an organizational structure outside of themselves influencing the path, dreams, and goals they have for this project, and even suggesting that they run anything in emulation just so that Bukkit can be compatible is crippling this project before it even has had a chance to learn how to walk.

Oh, and uh, Mineserver community...I talk ~alot~ so get your "tl;dr's" ready if you roll like that.  I will try to be concise, but i really can't help :D

Afforess

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 02:18:58 am »
The best API would be some kind of integration with the new Bukkit server API. Then you'd instantly get access to 100's of plugins.

Instant access to 100's of plug-ins + Bukkit's horrible Quality Assurance, and attitude.

So far Mineserver seems leaps and bounds beyond Bukkit in maturity alone, and that by itself will reflect in the difference in professionalism that I believe will be reflected in the Mineserver project over Bukkit, which is pretty chaotic, immature, and totally oblivious to the needs of the community or server admins as demonstrated by the lack of any vector for the community of large servers that exist "herocraft, godcraft, etc..) to supply direct and critical feedback about bugs they are all experiencing to the developers at Bukkit - and that just does not work.

Taking a week to accept testimony AKA complaints from major servers complaining on a log-in/out lag bug is 6 days too many.  And nothing proves more of what I am saying than one simple glance at the Bukkit Forums main page - Not a single sub-forum for posting bugs. Oh but wait, you may say there is some JIRA or something like that...Sorry regular people don't ever follow those and the masses do not, so if you need to get the most information you make it easy for those with that information to give it you.  Yes it may be willy nilly and some idjits will just post "IT BROKE MY SERVER" - but many more of us will post the steps, the details, whats repeatably and everything else to help find and eliminate a bug.   Something over there just screams "we are working harder, not smarter", and that for any project spells long term failure, guaranteed.

Mineserver hopefully will and should stand alone, no dependencies on an organizational structure outside of themselves influencing the path, dreams, and goals they have for this project, and even suggesting that they run anything in emulation just so that Bukkit can be compatible is crippling this project before it even has had a chance to learn how to walk.

Oh, and uh, Mineserver community...I talk ~alot~ so get your "tl;dr's" ready if you roll like that.  I will try to be concise, but i really can't help :D

You can post and view bug reports for Bukkit here: http://leaky.bukkit.org/projects/bukkit

But let's not let the facts get in the way of your rant.

SweetCraft Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 03:59:40 am »

Taking a week to accept testimony AKA complaints from major servers complaining on a log-in/out lag bug is 6 days too many.  And nothing proves more of what I am saying than one simple glance at the Bukkit Forums main page - Not a single sub-forum for posting bugs. Oh but wait, you may say there is some JIRA or something like that...Sorry regular people don't ever follow those and the masses do not, so if you need to get the most information you make it easy for those with that information to give it you.  Yes it may be willy nilly and some idjits will just post "IT BROKE MY SERVER" - but many more of us will post the steps, the details, whats repeatably and everything else to help find and eliminate a bug.   Something over there just screams "we are working harder, not smarter", and that for any project spells long term failure, guaranteed.

Oh, and uh, Mineserver community...I talk ~alot~ so get your "tl;dr's" ready if you roll like that.  I will try to be concise, but i really can't help :D

You can post and view bug reports for Bukkit here: http://leaky.bukkit.org/projects/bukkit

Cue Bukkit Fan Boi.

I actually speak to a few Big Server Admins who told me directly the same gripes...People who have an interest, like me, in running a large and successful server or series of servers - not people who code plugins with the nose up Bukkit's sphincter.

Oh, and how is that "leaky bukkit" project doing?

It did not help when for a week all the major server admins were posting about the log in and log out lag that everyone was experiencing, and in fact it was denied by Bukkit for a week.  

OH my gosh, lookee here - A bukkit plugin dev in a post throwing a major temper tantrum full of cursing et al and with no infractions placed on his account...I wonder why..  Anyways, he is pretty pissed - along with 10+ others over this bug being ignored by Bukkit - Leaky Bukkit - your great place to post bugs instead of ranting..

Go read and learn for yourself brown-nose boy:
 - http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/constant-1-30-minute-crashes.8212/
-  http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/high-cpu-usage.8295/

Now Mr. Minecart Maniaman, you go read those threads, tell your fellow Bukkit devs to stop cursing up a storm and to just enhance their calm aka "stop ranting" (as we know you don't like rants, but don't let that stop you from telling only me that) and to post it the Leaky Bukkit their problems instead of makign Bukkit look bad, mismanaged, and as usual completely unprofessional.

Ahh, yes, you won't have anything to say in that thread to someone speaking cursing up a storm like that - throwing a SuperRant in the forum you sit in most...But yet you will do your lil useless fan boi post and direct me to Leaky Bukkit of Bull.

It's called Leaky for a reason totally unreleated to what i believe was their original intentions.

But let's not let any tree's in the forest get in the way of you running straight ahead full speed.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:13:47 am by SweetCraft Girl »

BurnZeZ

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 04:04:56 am »

So far Mineserver seems leaps and bounds beyond Bukkit in maturity alone...

...I talk ~alot~ so get your "tl;dr's" ready if you roll like that.  I will try to be concise, but i really can't help :D

Bukkit is a failure. Mineserver intends not to be one.

Success != Success + crap
You cannot get an odd number by adding two evens.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:07:55 am by BurnZeZ »

zajacmp3

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 11:19:39 pm »
As I can read here there are one major group here that hates bukkit and one smaller that is smart enough to take from this project what is good and make minecraft better to all people who want to host server.

I am in fact running successful server on bukkit. 40 people at once. Don't have any 30 minutes crash (High CPU usage - yes, but not much bigger that clean vanilla server). In matter of fact I have problem with crashes on this holy thing called mineserver. And don't get me wrong I think that minecraft will always be more focused around java that around c++ and there will be many more various plugins that are just needed to run bigger server. A server that just could not live without it.

The best thing that may happen to this c++ project that is awesome is that it in some way could replace minecraft_server.jar and could be used with other java language. This would make this project so various that every other project would need to think about it all the time. For now nobody knows even about it.

As much java is a crappy thing it is needed and it will be needed to run a server in the closest future (thinking about 3-5 months) before this project will develop everything all by himself.

Also... is build at https://github.com/brownan/Minecraft-Overviewer
is the newest one? Cause I installed it and seems to have some bugs that should be repaired from that what I can read here...

Jailout2000

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 10:31:48 am »
The best thing that may happen to this c++ project that is awesome is that it in some way could replace minecraft_server.jar and could be used with other java language.
It's not made in java, so I don't see how it could be used in the "java language"...

before this project will develop everything all by himself.
What? This server is open-sourced and is developed by many people, not just one single person.

is the newest one? Cause I installed it and seems to have some bugs that should be repaired from that what I can read here...
That's not even the project.

https://github.com/fador/mineserver/network

That's what you should refer to see which one is the "newest one"... it shows a graph of which fork is the newest from each other. The one by fador, which is at the very top, is the root of the project (it was what all the others were forked from).

From the time of this post, fador's mineserver (the one all the others were forked from) is the newest/latest version you can get.
Visit my website to see what's up with me.

zajacmp3

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 07:41:46 pm »
I am crappy in c++ but as far I know it is possible to integrate this two languages.

And about the link... Yeah my mistake, I have been looking at other projects and copied the bad link :) But thanks for answering me about it ;)

Ligustah

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 11:56:50 am »
Java offers the JNI (Java Native Interface) through which it is possible to call Java code
from C/C++ and (with a few restrictions) the other way round as well. So it's technically
possible, however, i think a lot of people fear that bridging to Java code would make
Mineserver slower, and more resource hungry.
There are however compilers which are able to produce native executables from Java code,
but i don't know if that would really solve the actual problem.

SweetCraft Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 01:14:58 am »
As I can read here there are one major group here that hates bukkit and one smaller that is smart enough to take from this project what is good and make minecraft better to all people who want to host server.

I am in fact running successful server on bukkit. 40 people at once. Don't have any 30 minutes crash (High CPU usage - yes, but not much bigger that clean vanilla server). In matter of fact I have problem with crashes on this holy thing called mineserver. And don't get me wrong I think that minecraft will always be more focused around java that around c++ and there will be many more various plugins that are just needed to run bigger server. A server that just could not live without it.

The best thing that may happen to this c++ project that is awesome is that it in some way could replace minecraft_server.jar and could be used with other java language. This would make this project so various that every other project would need to think about it all the time. For now nobody knows even about it.

As much java is a crappy thing it is needed and it will be needed to run a server in the closest future (thinking about 3-5 months) before this project will develop everything all by himself.

The State of Bukkit - according to at least one Bukkit dev in this forum.

And if you search for "Xeology" another bukkit dev, you will see a far more colourful and angry post.

I thank Afforess for posting this message:

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/the-state-of-bukkit-as-of-22-3-11.9556/

- It wont work however.  EvilSeph has had this discussion with several people saying the same thing to him at different times in public and private.

It is always about seeing the tree's in the forest you are in. Also known as being able to look outside the box, and more importantly when in a leadership role, recognize the sycophants and their words for what they are and do your best to gain objective perspectives from those not ever telling you how great you are doing non-stop.

There is a lot to learn from Bukkit.  "Customer Service" is one of them.  I said that word to someone regarding bukkit and they said:  "Bukkit doesnt sell anything".  Wrong, Bukkit is a service, and the users are the customers.  If you cannot support the base of those who use your product (especially while asking for donations from a 35,000+ member user base - whatever that product may be - then you need not be offering it.

Jailout2000

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 02:57:31 am »
"Bukkit doesnt sell anything".  Wrong, Bukkit is a service, and the users are the customers.  If you cannot support the base of those who use your product (especially while asking for donations from a 35,000+ member user base - whatever that product may be - then you need not be offering it.
I disagree.

I know you may not have actually posted this (never clicked that link, lol) or whatever, but I feel obligated to say that I disagree because there's the term called freeware and a disclaimer that usually goes with "freeware" programs.

As you probably know, a freeware program is one that is offered free; the consumer/user doesn't have to pay a cent to the whole project or author, and the program isn't a cracked/pirated/illegal version or copy. In this regard, the consumer usually has nothing to lose. However, once the consumer starts to have problems, then most will usually complain to the person/company that made it (or ask around their peers for help).

However, some "freelance programmers" provide disclaimers on their freeware, stating that they will provide no support or online help for their freeware program. These type of programmers wish to make a program for themselves usually, and are letting others have their gift. Often, there's no strings attached to these programs ("freeware") and they wish to never help anyone who uses their program.

Long story made short, freelance programmers usually give freeware programs as a gift to the general public and sometimes (if at all) add a disclaimer showing that they will give no support to the project they're disclosing. In this case, the program can still be offered to people, but the people are thereby warned that they won't get any support from the author.
Visit my website to see what's up with me.

MechWarrior001

• View Profile
Re: The new Plugin API | Bukkit argument
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 08:53:04 pm »
Can someone please explain to me whats going on here concerning bukkit? From my understanding there is a argument but I'm a bit lost.

Afforess

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 11:18:15 pm »

Taking a week to accept testimony AKA complaints from major servers complaining on a log-in/out lag bug is 6 days too many.  And nothing proves more of what I am saying than one simple glance at the Bukkit Forums main page - Not a single sub-forum for posting bugs. Oh but wait, you may say there is some JIRA or something like that...Sorry regular people don't ever follow those and the masses do not, so if you need to get the most information you make it easy for those with that information to give it you.  Yes it may be willy nilly and some idjits will just post "IT BROKE MY SERVER" - but many more of us will post the steps, the details, whats repeatably and everything else to help find and eliminate a bug.   Something over there just screams "we are working harder, not smarter", and that for any project spells long term failure, guaranteed.

Oh, and uh, Mineserver community...I talk ~alot~ so get your "tl;dr's" ready if you roll like that.  I will try to be concise, but i really can't help :D

Cue Bukkit Fan Boi.

I actually speak to a few Big Server Admins who told me directly the same gripes...People who have an interest, like me, in running a large and successful server or series of servers - not people who code plugins with the nose up Bukkit's sphincter.

Oh, and how is that "leaky bukkit" project doing?

It did not help when for a week all the major server admins were posting about the log in and log out lag that everyone was experiencing, and in fact it was denied by Bukkit for a week.  

OH my gosh, lookee here - A bukkit plugin dev in a post throwing a major temper tantrum full of cursing et al and with no infractions placed on his account...I wonder why..  Anyways, he is pretty pissed - along with 10+ others over this bug being ignored by Bukkit - Leaky Bukkit - your great place to post bugs instead of ranting..

Go read and learn for yourself brown-nose boy:
 - http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/constant-1-30-minute-crashes.8212/
-  http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/high-cpu-usage.8295/

Now Mr. Minecart Maniaman, you go read those threads, tell your fellow Bukkit devs to stop cursing up a storm and to just enhance their calm aka "stop ranting" (as we know you don't like rants, but don't let that stop you from telling only me that) and to post it the Leaky Bukkit their problems instead of makign Bukkit look bad, mismanaged, and as usual completely unprofessional.

Ahh, yes, you won't have anything to say in that thread to someone speaking cursing up a storm like that - throwing a SuperRant in the forum you sit in most...But yet you will do your lil useless fan boi post and direct me to Leaky Bukkit of Bull.

It's called Leaky for a reason totally unreleated to what i believe was their original intentions.

But let's not let any tree's in the forest get in the way of you running straight ahead full speed.

I urge you to read your post. Does it read like a factual, rational, argument against bukkit? The only valid complaint I could discern from your post was that the service for Bukkit is poor - and I'd agree with that. The service for most FOSS is poor, because they are FOSS.

PS. I noticed the links on Bukkit's poor performance - I'd say that you are suffering from confirmation bias. Anyone's server that is running faster because of Bukkit is unlikely to post about it, but the hordes of people who can't set up a server properly, and cause them to run slowly post a lot. Hence the bias.