For$
<!-- begin site header -->
<div id=

Author Topic: Redstone / Snow Worlds  (Read 11526 times)

Jailout2000

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Redstone / Snow Worlds
« on: January 16, 2011, 10:47:45 am »
Simply a couple questions.

Can you add an option to generate complete snow worlds? As in, screw the "bio-dome" concept and force snow to be generated always? This would definitely be something I'd use, as well as a few of my friends. If this does become a feature, it would be cool to go the extra mile and make it possible to say yes or no for generating snow under trees, or things like that, or possibly having it generate under trees but never fall under trees; just an idea that would be cool that was never seen in Notch's server. Another thing that could go well with that is being able to choose how ice vs. water is generated and how it works.

Which brings me to my second question, which isn't really a feature request, but I'm still curious about--any estimate in when Redstone can be used to activate doors and other devices? With the last x86 build (Jan 15, '11), placing Redstone Dust/Wire was possible but it disappeared after a second and I couldn't figure out how to use it.

- Jailout2000
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:54:19 am by Jailout2000 »
Visit my website to see what's up with me.

Fador

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Redstone / Snow Worlds
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 11:49:58 am »
Well snow generation is basically not a problem, just have to add an extra stage where snow is placed according to heightmap. To get is under the trees will require some extra work but thats also quite simple to do.
More problematic would be generating snow after a while when something changes...but can be done by following the changes..also has to take torch etc light into account since that melts the snow and ice.

Ice would be almost the same, just check the top block according to heightmap, if it's water, change it to ice =)

I'm not promising I'll do any of these, but I'll mention these options to the person responsible for map generation.. ;)

Redstone is being coded by Dilaz at the moment (as a plugin). There's not really an estimate when it's complete. I haven't checked if the placing works on the latest git version, but since it cannot be used yet, it's not a big issue at this point ;)

Jailout2000

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:59:45 pm »
Cool.

The Snow world is really the big thing I want right now from this server. I miss that part of Notch's server, and when he took that away and replaced it with "bio-domes", and didn't even give you an option in the config to disable bio-domes, I wasn't pleased.

Thanks though :o

Ligustah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 03:39:50 pm »
I'm sorry for reviving this thread, but i'd like to ask if there is some sort of timeline for
the development of redstone mechanics. I couldn't find a mineserver repo on Dilaz' github
and i couldn't find a forum account for him around here either, so i'm just being curious.

Thanks in advance.

Jailout2000

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:11:09 am »
I'm sorry for reviving this thread
I was kind of hoping someone would reply later, actually.

i'd like to ask if there is some sort of timeline for the development of redstone mechanics.
I dunno. Haven't seen any work in Fador's fork with redstone, yet alone mechanics such as levers and iron doors being next to each other. That said, I'll remind anyone on IRC and see what's up with it.

Edit: Apparently the plugin was started... but I don't have any actual detailed info like bugs and whatnot.

i couldn't find a forum account for him around here
Check IRC. He's usually on IRC, AFK or not.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:20:42 am by Jailout2000 »

Ligustah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 11:07:34 am »
Oh, thanks a lot.
I guess i'll have to idle around on IRC then :P

Hexorg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:46:23 pm »
As in, screw the "bio-dome" concept and force snow to be generated always

Well then to let everyone be happy, why not to add a certain config line, that would allow generating either a multi-biome world, or generating the whole world as one biome.

Jailout2000

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 11:49:33 pm »
As in, screw the "bio-dome" concept and force snow to be generated always

Well then to let everyone be happy, why not to add a certain config line, that would allow generating either a multi-biome world, or generating the whole world as one biome.
Can you add an option to generate complete snow worlds?
Did you miss this part?

An option to turn it on or off. Perhaps I guess you meant an option for both: snow world, bio-dome, or temperate/moderate.

While we're on this subject, why not go the extra mile?

One option for:
- Bio-dome (mixed seasons)
- Temperate/moderate
- Desert
- Snow
- Rainforest (a new one, basically grass with a crapload of trees everywhere, more than usual and more tightly packed together; just an idea)

I guess the option could be a number instead of a true/false, which would correspond to each type of world, or something along those lines...

Edit: And for that rainforest, it'd be even cooler if the generator could mix in some "fallen trees" -- trees going sideways instead of upwards, with or without leaves (or maybe randomize it with or without leaves?). Just exploring new world types here...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:52:10 pm by Jailout2000 »

Hexorg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 04:13:14 pm »
Can you add an option to generate complete snow worlds?
Did you miss this part?

Didn't miss, just expanded a little on it, like you expanded on mine :)
And I really love your idea of rain forests! lol Just saw a "Man vs. Wild" episode in Borneo jungles a few days ago, he climbed there in a cave is search of water source haha!