For$
<!-- begin site header -->
<div id=

Author Topic: Version in Config.  (Read 9021 times)

Kane

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Version in Config.
« on: November 29, 2010, 05:25:32 am »
I suggest adding something like a version switch in the config file where you can enable / disable it and this way when going on test servers you can see exactly what version and might make it easier for people who don't compile and run their own servers but might test other servers and such.

I seen it used in a few client / server type projects in the past and thought it might fit in well with this one.

Andrew

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Version in Config.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 06:34:05 am »
You mean announcing the server version number in chat when someone joins? Right now the server version number is already placed in the code. When running the server it will tell you which version you are using.

I don't think putting it in the config file is such a good idea because people might upgrade their server without upgrading their config file but perhaps announcing it in chat when a player joins is a good idea.

Kane

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 05:21:31 pm »
You mean announcing the server version number in chat when someone joins? Right now the server version number is already placed in the code. When running the server it will tell you which version you are using.

I don't think putting it in the config file is such a good idea because people might upgrade their server without upgrading their config file but perhaps announcing it in chat when a player joins is a good idea.

Yeah sorry Andrew I meant add a option in config to turn it off or on :) Though it's not also a bad idea if there is a new config option that it tells you on startup that the config file has changed ;)

But yeah I meant show it in game when you login but let it be disabled if they want via config (like a production server)

Andrew

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 10:40:23 am »
Ah, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant having the ability to change the version number in the config file.

Kane

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 10:56:21 am »
Ah, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant having the ability to change the version number in the config file.

All good in fact no need to apologize my English skills blow and you will see that over the next few years on Mineserver and yes I did say YEARS!