For$
<!-- begin site header -->
<div id=

Author Topic: Different compilation results? (Win)  (Read 9823 times)

xoft

• View Profile
Different compilation results? (Win)
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:30:11 pm »
I was wondering, why am I getting such a different result between when compiling from sources and the official binary release for Windows.

I compile the sources at GitHub/Fador using MSVC2008 (had to re-create the MSVC2008 project, the one present in the sourceball is defunct); my executable is 50% smaller than the official and it DOES write things into the console while running, UNLIKE the official one (which only says "world world" and nothing else.

Are the official binaries from those sources at all, or does other stuff get thrown in?

Also both my compiled version and the official binary hit access violations rather often, I keep reporting them to the bug tracker, I was wondering if I am the only one seeing those? 'Cause noone else seems to care at all, and those are some serious issues that would HAVE to surface in other OS variants as well...

Just rambling...

Jailout2000

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Different compilation results? (Win)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:55:20 am »
I was wondering, why am I getting such a different result between when compiling from sources and the official binary release for Windows.

I compile the sources at GitHub/Fador using MSVC2008 (had to re-create the MSVC2008 project, the one present in the sourceball is defunct); my executable is 50% smaller than the official and it DOES write things into the console while running, UNLIKE the official one (which only says "world world" and nothing else.

Are the official binaries from those sources at all, or does other stuff get thrown in?

Also both my compiled version and the official binary hit access violations rather often, I keep reporting them to the bug tracker, I was wondering if I am the only one seeing those? 'Cause noone else seems to care at all, and those are some serious issues that would HAVE to surface in other OS variants as well...

Just rambling...
The size difference I have nothing to say for--perhaps better optimization between build settings?

The console output is easy to explain. Inside of config.cfg, there's an option to use cli (command line interface). Set this to true to make it output to the console line by line. Set to false to make it use the cursesui, which must be in the mineserver.exe's folder as a .dll; if it isn't then you'll end up with a "world world" type of console, as you described.

Both binaries are from Fador's github source. Fador uses a do_build.bat file, located here and within the build pack zip in the same link.

The access violations are already surfaced over IRC and are known. In fact, I get the issue whenever everyone disconnects or if I use Ctrl+C (or the X button on the window). Please provide other info to the proper people (even here) so they can fix it asap. The problem is being looked into already.

Regards,
- Jailout2000
Visit my website to see what's up with me.

xoft

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 10:58:38 am »
The console output is easy to explain.

Thanks for the pointer.

I guess the config file should get some documentationist's love, it's getting crowded with options that noone really knows about.

Both binaries are from Fador's github source. Fador uses a do_build.bat file, ...

I'm using VS2008 Express, so i can't use that bat file. I instead refreshed the VS2008 project files present in github and use those.

The access violations are already surfaced over IRC and are known. In fact, I get the issue whenever everyone disconnects or if I use Ctrl+C (or the X button on the window). Please provide other info to the proper people (even here) so they can fix it asap. The problem is being looked into already.

I've already filed two of those into the bug tracker, *including* a fix for them. It was a rather easy solution, actually. So where am I supposed to put those else? It says in the forum guidelines to post reports to the bug tracker.

See the issues here:
http://redmine.fknsrs.biz/issues/64
http://redmine.fknsrs.biz/issues/66

Hope this helps.

Jailout2000

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 01:10:31 am »
The console output is easy to explain.

Thanks for the pointer.

I guess the config file should get some documentationist's love, it's getting crowded with options that noone really knows about.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing at the end of last month.

Both binaries are from Fador's github source. Fador uses a do_build.bat file, ...

I'm using VS2008 Express, so i can't use that bat file.
You can still use the do_build file if you're on Windows. Any installation of Visual Studio (2008 or 2010) will provide "Visual Studio Common Tools" (VSCOMTOOLS), which is all you need to compile source code in C++ or whatever your VS has installed. In fact, the build file is preconfigured to use your Windows PATH environment variable to find the VSCOMTOOLS location, and will load them automatically if it can.

I've already filed two of those into the bug tracker, *including* a fix for them. It was a rather easy solution, actually. So where am I supposed to put those else? It says in the forum guidelines to post reports to the bug tracker.
The bug tracker is actually not payed attention to in terms of fixes; Fador reads it but doesn't implement fixes immediately.

Just do a pull request with your own fork of mineserver and it's bound to be merged into the main source at some point or another.

xoft

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:51:29 am »
You can still use the do_build file if you're on Windows.

For building, yes, but not for debugging. That's the point - if one wants to debug the application, they need a proper VS project file. Then access violations can be pinpointed down to the source code line that causes them - it was so easy to find those two AVs I've reported that I've been wondering, how come noone else noticed earlier.

Jailout2000

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 02:05:23 am »
You can still use the do_build file if you're on Windows.

For building, yes, but not for debugging. That's the point - if one wants to debug the application, they need a proper VS project file. Then access violations can be pinpointed down to the source code line that causes them - it was so easy to find those two AVs I've reported that I've been wondering, how come noone else noticed earlier.
Lazyness and the project files aren't updated as much as the actual code is.