For$
<!-- begin site header -->
<div id=

Author Topic: NullPointerException Client Crashes  (Read 7723 times)

nathacof

• View Profile
NullPointerException Client Crashes
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:43:36 am »
I can't believe the frequency at which I'm struck by this bug. As such, I'd like to get a sense of how many people are also affected. The full error message is as follows:

http://codepad.org/4iLktGjl

Using tcpdump I've generated a pcap file of this transaction which you can find here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19282465/minecraft.pcap

Looking through the transaction in Wireshark, I don't see anything that sticks out as a problem, but then again I'm not sure what's happening in the underlying Minecraft protocol. It might be useful for someone with the minecraft-dissector plugin for Wireshark to see what's actually happening there.

System Info:
Code: [Select]
ncoffield-mbp:~ ncoffield$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_22"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04-307-10M3261)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.1-b03-307, mixed mode)
ncoffield-mbp:~ ncoffield$ uname -a
Darwin ncoffield-mbp.local 10.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.6.0: Wed Nov 10 18:13:17 PST 2010; root:xnu-1504.9.26~3/RELEASE_I386 i386

Anyway post here if you're experiencing the same crash.

Ben S.

• View Profile
Re: NullPointerException Client Crashes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:37:25 am »
I really don't think this is related to the server in any way.  It's just a NullPointerException Notch hasn't taken care of, nothing you can fix server end.  Even if data is received by the client that doesn't protocol, it shouldn't crash.  Notch needs to take counter-measures for situations like that.

Also, this is a fairly common error.
Unofficial Mineserver builds:
http://www.benschro.com/mineserver

nathacof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 04:40:14 pm »
I really don't think this is related to the server in any way.  It's just a NullPointerException Notch hasn't taken care of, nothing you can fix server end.  Even if data is received by the client that doesn't protocol, it shouldn't crash.  Notch needs to take counter-measures for situations like that.

That might be an acceptable answer if this didn't happen 95% of the time when I connect to mineserver, and virtually never when connecting to the vanilla server.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:59:49 pm by nathacof »

Jailout2000

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 02:12:03 am »
I really don't think this is related to the server in any way.  It's just a NullPointerException Notch hasn't taken care of, nothing you can fix server end.  Even if data is received by the client that doesn't protocol, it shouldn't crash.  Notch needs to take counter-measures for situations like that.

That might be an acceptable answer if this didn't happen 95% of the time when I connect to mineserver, and virtually never when connecting to the vanilla server.
I'm not experiencing the error, however, my friends are.

Whenever I host mineserver (I make my own builds), I can connect and login fine. However, when my friends either via Hamachi or my public IP connect, they get that same error you posted. Also, my family on my LAN don't get this error either--which is very strange.
Visit my website to see what's up with me.