For$
<!-- begin site header -->
<div id=

Author Topic: Bandwidth?  (Read 8520 times)

croxis

• View Profile
Bandwidth?
« on: December 19, 2010, 01:21:22 am »
Has anyone done tests on bandwidth usage of this server compared to the official one?

Fador

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bandwidth?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 11:10:29 pm »
Has anyone done tests on bandwidth usage of this server compared to the official one?

I did some measurements some weeks back and noticed Mineserver was using much less bandwidth..altought the java server had mobs enabled ;) But the strange thing was the bandwidth went up only when I dug. Maybe I should do the tests again...
I don't have any "official" numbers on this. But I might say the Mineserver is sending less "extra" data.

Ben S.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 12:24:53 am »

I did some measurements some weeks back and noticed Mineserver was using much less bandwidth..altought the java server had mobs enabled ;) But the strange thing was the bandwidth went up only when I dug. Maybe I should do the tests again...
I don't have any "official" numbers on this. But I might say the Mineserver is sending less "extra" data.

I still have run into one thing however.  Sometimes when you load up a new area, you can see through the ground and see caves way below you before the ground right underneath you.

Is this a problem with the server sending that far data first or is the minecraft client doing a poor job of prioritizing packets?
Unofficial Mineserver builds:
http://www.benschro.com/mineserver

croxis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 02:12:17 am »
Good to know. Now I just need to figure out how to integrate python into the plugin system and then I can switch :D