For$
<!-- begin site header -->
<div id=

Author Topic: PowerPC(64)  (Read 19266 times)

drewbug

• View Profile
PowerPC(64)
« on: January 25, 2011, 06:27:38 am »
I'm attempting to run Mineserver on my PlayStation 3, which has a PPC64 architecture, and is running Debian. Everything compiles fine, but I can't get the server to start without throwing an error and crashing. I disabled all plugins, compiled again with "DEBUG=YES" and ran it with the GNU Debugger. Here is my output from there: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=6yktqeMm

Perhaps somebody can help me out here...? =/ I asked around on IRC, and I also reported this on the bug tracker, but I posted it here, too, because it's not really a normal bug, and that's what I was directed to do on IRC.

Thanks,
Drew Carey Buglione

Ben S.

• View Profile
Re: PowerPC(64)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 07:03:11 am »
That exception is thrown when memory is trying to be allocated (new).  It could just be that you are running out of memory.  Any idea how much you have in a PS3?  Debian may be a little stingy with giving memory out due hardware limitations.
Unofficial Mineserver builds:
http://www.benschro.com/mineserver

drewbug

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 07:24:58 am »
I only have 256MB of real actual RAM, but I'm using the GPU's 256MB of RAM as a high-speed swap and also have a swap partition on my hard drive. Shouldn't it use that..?  :-\
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:49:03 am by drewbug »

Fador

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:05:29 pm »
So it was (big)endian problem, it should now be fixed.

Gzipped files contain the uncompressed length at the last four bytes and it was reading it in reversed byte order which caused the size to be quite too big to handle ;)

Jailout2000

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 07:58:37 am »
I wonder how many other places the server has problems like this.

On the other hand, does this mean the server will run on both little- and big-endian architectures? I mean, I know the way a program stores/retrieves memory is usually done in a way that doesn't really depend on the endianness, but I also know that file formats can be dependent on the endianness, along with network protocol messages.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:00:17 am by Jailout2000 »
Visit my website to see what's up with me.

Fador

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 03:26:07 pm »
I believe this was the only place that had this kind of a problem ;)

Ben S.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 07:44:22 pm »
I wonder how many other places the server has problems like this.

On the other hand, does this mean the server will run on both little- and big-endian architectures? I mean, I know the way a program stores/retrieves memory is usually done in a way that doesn't really depend on the endianness, but I also know that file formats can be dependent on the endianness, along with network protocol messages.
The standard is that all network traffic is big endian, and your local system treats it as such, by either leaving it big endian, or converting to little endian.

So yes, the server can run on both big and little endian, or any other type of endianness (yes there are others).
Unofficial Mineserver builds:
http://www.benschro.com/mineserver

Jailout2000

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 01:35:12 am »
Interesting.
Visit my website to see what's up with me.

SweetCraft Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 05:35:21 am »
I'm attempting to run Mineserver on my PlayStation 3, which has a PPC64 architecture, and is running Debian. Everything compiles fine, but I can't get the server to start without throwing an error and crashing. I disabled all plugins, compiled again with "DEBUG=YES" and ran it with the GNU Debugger. Here is my output from there: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=6yktqeMm

Perhaps somebody can help me out here...? =/ I asked around on IRC, and I also reported this on the bug tracker, but I posted it here, too, because it's not really a normal bug, and that's what I was directed to do on IRC.

Thanks,
Drew Carey Buglione

This really sounds like Steve Wozniak/Jobs type of stuff from the 70's.

I am so beyond clueless how one can even crack open a console game with the intent of having it run an OS AND a server no less.

Seriously brilliant and hacker in the original use of the word.

TBK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 06:03:43 am »
Heheh there should be a "Hacker Corner" for people who try to run Mineserver on special devices - PS3, mediacenters, ipods.... :P