For$
<!-- begin site header -->
<div id=

Author Topic: Importing world in 1.3.1 servers?  (Read 9865 times)

JDub

• View Profile
Importing world in 1.3.1 servers?
« on: January 02, 2013, 09:41:38 pm »
Hi there. I'm hosting a minecraft server for me and a few buddies using my old server. The server stats are: Abit NF7-S, Athlon xp 2400+ @ 2GHz, 1 GB ram running on windows xp 32-bit.

I started out using McMyAdmin and the 1.3.1 minecraft jar to create the world. NO plugins or mods. Because I want this server to be able to do other server things I'd like to switch to  mine server.

I installed [mineserver_2012_08_08_012300_e973517e_VS2010.zip   08-Aug-2012 01:23    1.8M   Minecraft 1.3.1 compatible, threaded user validation and some fixes] and started it up - after letting it generate a world i shut the server down and  deleted the contents of A-world and replaced them with a copy of my servers world. After restarting a few bugs came up and I'm wondering if there is a way to mitigate/prevent them:

1. Sound issue - footsteps don't seem to be made when im connected to this server. animal pain/hit noises aren't registering either (at least not most of the time, i got one cow to make a noise out of 8 or so animals killed).

2. My map is blank and wont re-populate with info as I walk around.

3. Pigs fly - a few animals spawned that weren't there before and some of them were glitching between the ground and about 8-10 blocks up, rapidly switching locations. Not a big deal as there weren't many and they could be killed easily.

4. My inventory was askew - all the items were there but many things i had equipped were placed in my inventory. Again not a big deal just points to a loop being out of order (i guess).

5. My animal pens contents were gone. Gone! 30+ cows, pigs and chickens were replaced with ... 1 sheep and 1 chicken.

6. The server says "no trees found spawning" when starting up every time it starts. My world has trees and mineserver doesnt appear to have generated any new ones or moved my old ones. A curiosity.

Did I do something wrong? Remember I wasn't using any mods, maybe a few settings from within McMyadmin (things like view distance set to 6, allow snooping no etc) but I dont think those get stored in the map file anyways. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really like the world that was generated and I'd like to keep it if possible. Thanks in advance.

Oh - one more thing. If there are some irreconcilable differences between server versions would it be possible for me to use the same world seed from my current server to generate the same terrain from within mineserver? and then maybe import player inventories/ a few chests for my and my pal? It would be a bitch rebuilding my house and re-exploring all the caves I have but if it must be done I guess I can. uhg 3 days of heavy play lost =/

Timatooth

• View Profile
Re: Importing world in 1.3.1 servers?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 05:37:20 am »
I haven't compiled mineserver in while but I think entities like cows, pigs are generated on the fly and aren't saved into the world files.

The missing animal hurt sounds are pretty simple, just need to add the code to send that packet when the event occurs.

A world importer would be very nice, not sure how easy it would be.

JDub

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:00:18 am »
I haven't compiled mineserver in while but I think entities like cows, pigs are generated on the fly and aren't saved into the world files.

The missing animal hurt sounds are pretty simple, just need to add the code to send that packet when the event occurs.

A world importer would be very nice, not sure how easy it would be.
Hold on animals have to be saved somewhere - they appear every time I log in. And the player inventory shows up ok - i had all my stuff (out of order) minus map functionality.

I feel like animals probably work fine on mineserver if they are generated BY mineserver. Just curious what the difference between stock animals and mineserver animals is.  ???

Fador

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:32:21 am »
Hi =)

I would like to point out that mineserver does not support everything the vanilla minecraft server does ;)

1. Sound issue

Sounds were changed to be sent by the server at version 1.3 I believe, mineserver does not send any sounds at the moment

2. My map is blank and wont re-populate with info as I walk around.

Strange, it should generate the map as you walk around...

3. Pigs fly

All animals generated by mineserver are done by the plugins..which are not really useful yet =)

4. My inventory was askew
Yeah that might be a bug..but might also be fixed in the latest version...

5. My animal pens contents were gone. Gone! 30+ cows, pigs and chickens were replaced with ... 1 sheep and 1 chicken.

Mineserver does not use the animal information in the mapfiles..and there's not even a plugin that would handle the animal AI properly ;)

6. The server says "no trees found spawning" when starting up every time it starts. My world has trees and mineserver doesnt appear to have generated any new ones or moved my old ones. A curiosity.
..right, thats just a debug message really. Mineserver saves all the saplings in the map and tries to load them.

Did I do something wrong? Remember I wasn't using any mods, maybe a few settings from within McMyadmin (things like view distance set to 6, allow snooping no etc) but I dont think those get stored in the map file anyways. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really like the world that was generated and I'd like to keep it if possible. Thanks in advance.

No I dont think you did anything wrong, mineserver just handles things a bit differently. And you _should_ be able to use the maps already generated, we might have to fix something to make that work =/

Oh - one more thing. If there are some irreconcilable differences between server versions would it be possible for me to use the same world seed from my current server to generate the same terrain from within mineserver? and then maybe import player inventories/ a few chests for my and my pal? It would be a bitch rebuilding my house and re-exploring all the caves I have but if it must be done I guess I can. uhg 3 days of heavy play lost =/

The seed used in mineserver is completely different from minecraft, we have a custom generator so the map would be completely different even if you could input the seed =/

So basically you cannot do much about the problems, we would have to fix those in the code..
You could actually add those issues to our bugtracker if you want to help out =)

JDub

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 09:18:24 am »
Wow Fador thank you for that detailed reply. As much as I'd like to contribute I get the impression that it wouldnt be too helpful as I am using an outdated server and client, im sure the last thing the developers want to do is support several versions of the server software. Someone would have to create a seperate fork for all the fixes to the above problems and compile it just for me - I know over the line when I see it.

I just wish things had gone a little smoother, if be able to easily get away from this bloated system  :-\