For$
<!-- begin site header -->
<div id=

Author Topic: Some issues  (Read 9992 times)

AnonymousJohn

• View Profile
Some issues
« on: December 15, 2010, 01:09:03 am »
Alright, first I'd like to say how much I love this already. I haven't really gotten a real server started with it yet (I want to get it configured correctly first), but it works great so far. I downloaded it yesterday. Now that I've got that done, here goes:

1.) "Invalid configuration at line 13 of config.cfg"
The server seems to work fine despite this error I get whenever I start it. I tried tracing it, but realized that the config.cfg file uses different line return characters than notepad does, so notepad doesn't show them, which means it's hard for me to trace it to exactly which configuration it's referring to. Could you help me out with this?

2.) Mobs don't spawn
I did a little snooping around and found out that this hasn't been implemented. My friends will be disappoint when they find out about this. :P I hope it is implemented soon.

3.) The whitelist doesn't work
I noticed someone else who had the same problem just a few posts down. I don't know whether or not the other guy did, but I wrote my name on the list exactly as it appears in my username, and it still rejected me. The configuration line is definitely referring to the correct file. Not sure what's going on there.

4.) No damage?
I also noticed as I was walking around that I didn't receive any fall or lava or burning damage. I did receive drowning damage, though. Is this because I set myself up as an admin?

5.) Map irregularities
I noticed that the adjacent chunks don't always line up. This happened with one or two of my chunks. This is probably a problem with how your map generator works, and not with the server, but I thought I'd throw that out there. No trees; someone else had the same problem. That's a much bigger issue in my opinion. How am I supposed to make a pick with no wood? Not everyone's an admin, you know. Ores. There are none. None that I could find, anyway. I haven't gone digging much, but I searched through the humongeous cave complex that the mismatched chunk opened up to me and I couldn't find any. I'll do a map-scan later today to check for any. Other than these issues, I LOVE the map that was generated for me! It looks amazing.

6.) Scripting?
On Minepedia it states that your server allows Lua scripting on it. However, I can't find any documentation on how to add such scripting. I'd really like to be able to mod my server a lot (there's lots I want to do with it). Can you help me out with this?

7.) GUI
I notice there are slight glitches with the command-line "GUI" that your server uses, such as left-over text that appears in blanks, and the fact that backspace... doesn't exactly work (it moves the cursor back and allows you to write over the current text, but doesn't actually erase the text you're backing over). These are not major issues, but something you should look into if you don't have anything more important to fix. Like the Whitelist issue.

8.) Server-side commands?
I've tried to issue certain commands from the server GUI, and they do not appear to work. I can issue server-wide announcements, though. Is this not supported, or are there specific commands I need to use? If not, this is something I'd like to see in the near future.

9.) Banning?
Banning seems to only work if you specifically add the name to the banned.txt file. I can't seem to ban people using the /ban command from my client. At least, it didn't work on me (as an admin) unless I added myself to the text file. I'd have to test on an actual user to see if this isn't just an admin banning admin problem.

10.) Custom commands?
I'd like to add my own commands for admins/ops to use, like a clear inventory command to punish those using haxors to get items, or a sethome command to set where /home takes you (could be for members, too). I haven't found any documentation on this. Is it possible for me to do this without going in and modifying the source code and re-compiling?

So far, you guys have done a GREAT job on this. I hope to see more from you soon!

nathacof

• View Profile
Re: Some issues
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 01:55:38 am »
Make sure you start mineserver from the bin/ directory, I was having problems with the configuration that were resolved this way.

Code: [Select]
cd bin/
./minserver config.cfg

AnonymousJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 02:57:44 am »
Make sure you start mineserver from the bin/ directory, I was having problems with the configuration that were resolved this way.

Code: [Select]
cd bin/
./minserver config.cfg
What exactly do you mean? I'm starting mineserver from the same directory as config.cfg, if that's what you're asking. Or do I need to make a folder called "bin" and put the executable in there? If it makes a difference, I got mineserver from the zip downloadable. Norton 360 wouldn't let me download the exe file.

Nredor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 08:15:18 am »
1.) "Invalid configuration at line 13 of config.cfg"
Check that there's spaces around = and also false is written in small-case-characters :)
New configuration reader is almost ready and will be implemented soon.

2.) Mobs don't spawn
Yeah, no mobs yet :/

3.) The whitelist doesn't work
Ah yes. We'll look into this problem. :)

4.) No damage?
Nah, Just because only drowning damage is currently implemented ;) Lava and falling damage are not yet there.

5.) Map irregularities
I noticed that the adjacent chunks don't always line up.
Someone else also saw this problem and we will check it out :)

No trees; someone else had the same problem. That's a much bigger issue in my opinion. How am I supposed to make a pick with no wood?
Nope, no trees yet :/ Map generator does not yet add those but you can "spawn" tree-like things by placing saplings on the ground :D

Ores. There are none. None that I could find, anyway. I haven't gone digging much, but I searched through the humongeous cave complex that the mismatched chunk opened up to me and I couldn't find any.
Yeah, Map generation is still little incomplete. So ores are not there yet :/ But will be soon I hope.

6.) Scripting?
On Minepedia it states that your server allows Lua scripting on it. However, I can't find any documentation on how to add such scripting. I'd really like to be able to mod my server a lot (there's lots I want to do with it). Can you help me out with this?
Oh, That Minepedia style is little confusing. Apparently the background color tells you in what state it is. Our background color tells that it's planned feature :) But, plugin-system is in progress and when that is done we can make lua plugin for scripting purposes.

7.) GUI
I notice there are slight glitches with the command-line "GUI" that your server uses, such as left-over text that appears in blanks, and the fact that backspace... doesn't exactly work (it moves the cursor back and allows you to write over the current text, but doesn't actually erase the text you're backing over).
We'll check this :)

8.) Server-side commands?
I've tried to issue certain commands from the server GUI, and they do not appear to work. I can issue server-wide announcements, though. Is this not supported, or are there specific commands I need to use? If not, this is something I'd like to see in the near future.
Server-side commands should work same as they work in-game. Like "/settime 0" should work. There might be some problems with config files you got with zip you downloaded. Could you paste the full name of that zip file so I can check it out?

9.) Banning?
Banning seems to only work if you specifically add the name to the banned.txt file. I can't seem to ban people using the /ban command from my client. At least, it didn't work on me (as an admin) unless I added myself to the text file.
We'll look into this :)

10.) Custom commands?
I'd like to add my own commands for admins/ops to use, like a clear inventory command to punish those using haxors to get items, or a sethome command to set where /home takes you (could be for members, too). I haven't found any documentation on this. Is it possible for me to do this without going in and modifying the source code and re-compiling?
Currently it can only be done by modifying the code, but after the plugin system is done we hope that this can be archieved with scripting.

-Nredor

AnonymousJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 03:09:28 pm »
Ah, I very much look forward to this plug-in system you're making. I actually looked into Lua (I'd never heard of it before) and it looks AMAZING to program in. As for the name of the zip file I downloaded, it was this one:
mineserver_20101213103323_r17d3b0e.zip
It was a Windows download. I'll check the spaces around the '='s in my config file when I get home tonight and keep you posted. Who knows, maybe that's what causes the unusable server commands.

Nredor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 11:02:23 pm »